This Corn, Avocadi and Orange Salad is a great refreshing salad super quick to make. It is so simple yet so versatile I thought it was a dish worth posting, I am sure you will find this salad useful when you need something easy and packed of flavour to make.
Since my daughter became Vegetarian 6 months ago I’ve been looking for options to add up to her daily rotation of staple foods, having that I have to prepare 3 different menus at home to cater for my family needs, this recipe makes up for a quick dish that my daughter can have for breakfast, lunch or dinner, with just a few additions on top like beans or tofu for a complete meal.
Corn, Avocado and Orange salad can be the base for yummy salad bowls, fresh burritos and tostadas, colourful Pasta salads, or complement to fritters, top baked jacket potatoes, as a side for fried eggs in the morning, and even in non vegetarian dishes to brighten up a steak dish or grilled fish dish, if you prefer you can chop the veggies a little bit more and serve as a chunky salsa with corn chips on the side, the possibilities are endless.
I am not going to claim this is a Mexican dish but certainly resembles similar flavours using lemon or lime as a dressing and with the addition of avocado, corn, and coriander it reminds me of those delicious fresh latin american flavours.
With a few tweaks this amazing zingy salad can become a complete dish, I will serve it as is for a side dish or salad or add extras to take to a new level.
Proteins: add beans of any type, my suggestions lentils, black beans (my daughter’s fave) or red kidney beans go really well with this salad. Other protein additions can be cubed tofu, chicken or prawns that had been grilled, these options can be added instead of beans or you can add both.
For a hearty addition I like adding a root vegetable or brassicas in cubes/chunks that can be roasted or pan fried, my preferred options are: sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, cauliflower or Brussel sprouts, it will make the salad more satisfying and make you feel full for longer.
For a complete meal turn this salad into a Pasta salad or Salad bowl adding cooked short pasta of your choice like penne, or spirals, or adding cooked quinoa, or brown rice.
Corn, Avocado, and Orange SaladCuisine: Latin AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Colourful and zesty latin inspired Corn, avocado and orange salad, that will have you wishing for more. Great as companion to fish, or grilled chicken, or instead of a pico de gallo in some tacos.
1 ripe avocado
2 Tbsp spring onion / can use red onion as well
1 tomato [can use 10 cherry ripe or mini roma tomatoes instead]
4 Tbsp canned corn kernels
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 lemon juiced [adjust to taste]
salt to taste
- Slice the spring onion thinly.
- Peel and cut the orange in segments avoiding the white skin as much as possible, cut in smaller pieces of roughly 1 cm each.
- Deseed and dice the tomatoes in 1 cm cubes.
- Drain and run under cold water the corn kernels.
- Make a dressing with oil, lemon juice, and salt, you can add a little bit of the orange juice as well.
- Combine all the ingredients and the dressing and mix lightly being very careful not to mush the avocado. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve with Coriander leaves as garnish.
- As is this is a child-friendly recipe. Try adding lemon zest and chilli flakes or fresh chilli slices for an added zing.
- Add a protein like canned beans, seared tofu, or even grilled chicken to make this a complete meal.